OUR CONGREGATION'S HISTORY
On December 13, 1942 with 12–15 people in attendance the first assembly of the congregation was held in a rented storefront building at 4336 Ringgold Road. In 1944 the first elders were appointed. The congregation was growing and property was purchased at the corner of Ringgold Road and West End Avenue to erect a building. The congregation moved into the building in 1948.
Growth continued and the Elders decided to begin another congregation a little further north in East Ridge. On October 4, 1959 the Green’s Lake Road congregation held its first worship service. There were about 200 in attendance, most of whom had been attending East Ridge.
The East Ridge congregation continued to grow in their 5421 Ringgold Road location and the building was expanded in 1966–67. In 1986, due to continued growth, the former Anna B. Lacey School on McBrien Road was purchased. On November 5 1989 the first service was held at the newly renovated former school. The congregation continues to meet in this location.
The congregation has always been mission minded both locally and abroad. Locally, in addition to the Green’s Lake Road congregation East Ridge had a hand in establishing the Ringgold Church of Christ and the now defunct Westside Church of Christ (both in Northwest Georgia). Stateside missions included support of works in Rock Hill, SC, Philadelphia, PA, Manhattan, NY and Kiski Valley in PA. In addition to the congregation’s continued emphasis on reaching out in the local community, they currently support the work in Lewiston, MT.
In the 1990’s the congregation became involved in establishing and supporting congregations in Russia and Central America (Nicaragua and Panama in particular). Those works continue as well as work in Ghana, Haiti, Israel, Kenya and South Africa. The congregation also supports several mass media efforts such as In Search of the Lord’s Way, The Gospel Broadcasting Network and the International Gospel Hour. In 2021 the East Ridge elders assumed oversight of the House to House Heart to Heart publication.
—Historical Sketch written by Steve Plemmons
For a more detailed version of our congregation's history, click here.